Top 5 Things I Hate About Love Triangles - Written by Khadijah

 Image result for anti love triangles


 As Valentine's day winds down I decided to write down all of the things I hate about love... of the triangular kind (see what I did there, I'm actually trash for other types of love lol). 

Anyways here are my top 5 reasons why I hate love triangles:

  1. It's glorified cheating - Ok call me old-fashioned, but I CANNOT stand when the main characters lead two people on. The whole time I am reading the book I can't even enjoy the romance because every time there is a scene with either of the love interests I'm feeling bad for the other one and angry at the stupid mc who has the audacity to play them like FOOLS.
  2. It takes over the plot - I often complain about the romance taking up too much of the book, and books with not one but TWO romances not only take up too much of the book they take up almost ALL of it. And when the love triangle makes you hate all the characters involved and hate all their scenes together, then it's almost unbearable to read the book because it is made almost entirely of their stupid angst and cringe makeout scenes.
  3. It makes even the most loveable of characters SUUUUUUCK - For this, I have to give an example, so I shall pull from one of the worst series I have ever read, the Hunger Games. I loved Gale; I loved him sososososoooo much, but literally, every single time he was interacting with Katniss he was hecka annoying. He was such a strong and smart character, but he was diminished to this whiny entitled trash can whenever it came to Katniss and it was even more annoying considering the fact that she was not worth it and had the personality of a sack of potatoes. Anyways that whole schpeel was a long way of saying that characters could be great or at least halfway decent, but they are ruined by some dumb plot trope that doesn't even need to be in the book for it to be interesting.
  4. It makes women look like indecisive idiots - Most of the love triangles I have come across the person at the top is a girl and more often than not they are expected to lead something important. How am I supposed to believe these girls are strong enough to lead whole armies when they can't decide who they want to make out with next! And half these girls have the potential to be awesome characters, but their whole personalities are ruined so that the author can justify them being two-timers.
  5. Someone will always get hurt - Because the end of the book often comes with the main character getting what they want and settling down in life, they often choose one of the love interests to drop like a hot potato after they are done with being two-timing trash cans and most likely it will be the character you care about the most. I usually continue the book solely for the one character I care about only for the ending to completely screw them over. UUUUUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    ~Khadijah

Comments

Popular Posts